Our land is situated on a slope, and any rainfall or water run off from the road will head very quickly down the slope to the stream at the bottom. As it rushes down it takes with it minerals from the soil depositing them at the very bottom of the field.
All our Veg beds at the top of the field are raised in an attempt to slow down this water flow, and it does work but there’s a lot more we want to do, not only to stop the loss of minerals, but to preserve the water we have and use it well.
To this end we had planned to bring a digger onto the land in the Autumn of 2015, to begin putting in some water “features”. We want to build in at least 2 Swales, 5 Ponds and 1 Earth Tank. However with the incredibly wet Autumn we’ve had that has been impossible, and without these measures in place the field has flooded in certain areas.
In an attempt to alleviate the problem we have decided to begin work on some of the overflow channels that will join some of the ponds and swales together. These should help to move the water away from the more used areas of the field to places where flooding won’t affect us too much.
This is the first overflow channel that we started yesterday evening. It’s in no way finished, but just look at the amount of water in it from the rainfall last night! Just need a few dry days to continue this channel on down the field to a small storage pond.